Big Up to Dubstep (excerpt)




Artist Nutzle Interviews Crossroads Records Producer Fish Finger








Nutzle (N.) - What is Dubstep?

Fish Finger (F.) - Dubstep is a genre of music that emerged from the same underground that embraced the early U.K. Garage, Hardcore & Jungle. It's roots, and main influences, are the same; Dub, Reggae, Hip Hop, Jungle, Drum & Bass, Breaks, House, Trance. Most tunes are produced between 135-145BPM(Beats Per Minute)and are driven by the drums, subbass, and an overlayed bass with L.F.O.(Low Frequency Oscillation) used to create a wobble effect. This isn't true of all tunes but its used quite a bit, so it's worth mentioning. "Reverb" and "Delay" are used to create space in the tunes which I think is one of the more important factors. I'm usually pretty bad at describing these things technically, so I hope that made sense.

N. - Where did the genre originate?

F. - England definitely, argueably Bristol & London from my understanding.

N. - What year?

F. - I think I read somewhere that there were Garage & 2-Step tunes being remixed in the typical Dubstep half-time rhythm as early as 1999, and then it caught on by late 2002. I've been listening to electronica for a long time and there are tunes that would have been considered Dubstep in the early '90's, if the term were around at that point. Instead, they were coined "Downtempo."

N. - What direction do you think the genre is headed?

F. - In my opinion, the genre will peak and then burn out like most other genres, and only the hardcore will carry on. I still enjoy making "Old School" influenced Jungle tunes with the Amen & Apache Breaks (2 very well known drum beats), so before you ask if I'll be one of the hardcore, the answer is yes.

N. - Do all genres of music fade away or burn-out, and are there future classics being produced?

F. - Burn-out might be too strong of a term, but they definitely peak and come down.
In my opinion, there have been classics produced like Matty G. - West Coast Rocks (Caspa Remix), MRK1 - Sensi Skank, and TRUTH - Fatman. There are quite a few others, but any true dubstepper knows these tunes and will consider them classics later.

N. - Where do you want to take this music if you have an influence?

F. - I can't really say that I want to take it anywhere, because I make music that I like and the bonus is that some enjoy my work. I'm not a musician, so I feel lucky to put tunes together, really. I guess I developed a decent enough ear over the years to get some things done...